Family law matters always involve emotional, personal and financial challenges. The attorneys of Cooper Cargill Chant understand that a divorce or custody dispute can be one of the most difficult and stressful events in a person’s life.
Our highly experienced team of attorneys and paralegals provide strong, supportive advocacy in all aspects of family law matters. Because family law matters are sensitive and we understand your need for discretion, all communications with our office are held in the strictest confidence.
Some family law issues with which we can assist include:
- divorces and post-divorce modifications
- negotiation of workable, lasting co-parenting arrangements
- complex custody and visitation issues
- instate, interstate and international child custody, visitation, support and related disputes
- child support, alimony and other support issues
- child support and visitation issues for military families
- division of business interests and family-owned businesses
- bank account, securities, and investment account division
- division of pensions, 401(k) accounts, retirement and investment accounts and other tax-deferred assets
- real estate division
- obtaining and enforcing restraining orders
- providing referrals to support services
- personal and financial guardianships
- assisting with the legal needs of adult disabled children
- adoption and surrogacy
- special education issues
- understanding and planning for tax issues created by divorce
- modification of orders
- negotiation, mediation and arbitration
- prenuptial agreements
Many family law matters can be resolved without court action and some cannot. As your attorneys, it is our duty to advise you of the best approach for your case and strenuously advocate for your position. We will inform you of your rights and obligations and assist you in arriving at a fair resolution of your domestic matter.
If you would like an out-of-court settlement of your case, we will assist you in settlement negotiations, advise you of all settlement offers, advise you as to whether such offers are fair and reasonable, and whether a Court would likely make similar ruling. We can represent you in mediation or act as a mediator.
If a settlement cannot be reached, we will be prepared to effectively and aggressively litigate your case. Regardless of your preferred approach, we will take the time to make certain you have a full understanding of all the issues enabling you to make informed decisions.